Thursday 13 June 2019

Pete's blog - a fair few thank yous and a final farewell!

Seven Samurai, The Secret Seven, Seven Dwarves, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Seven Deadly Sins (okay that example is perhaps not as good) – as I write my seventh blog, now seems as good a time as any to draw things to a close; and unfortunately now is also the time to bring my 9 months mentoring Harry to a close too.

However, we have both worked hard to make sure that our remaining time together has ended on a high note, with Harry gaining several more opportunities to gain experience of working life within several more different parts of Zurich (in fact I have so many amazing people to recognise that I need to make sure that the many thank yous I will have to say in this final blog doesn’t end up reading like a teary Oscars acceptance speech)
 
Firstly I want to say a huge thank you to Paul Beasley (from IT) who took time out of his busy schedule to run a 1:1 session with Harry sharing a little of the IT knowledge that he has built up over the last 25 years. Paul remarked that “if Harry went away with learning even one thing then that’s one thing more than when he first walked into the room”, which I think you’ll agree is a fantastic attitude to have, for mentoring or for life in general – and the way that Harry re-counted all he knew about Zurich’s computer networks during our catch-up afterwards (don’t worry folks – no security risk) made me feel pretty confident that it was more than one thing he had picked up about IT. (Paul also told me that I can use some pictures of them for the blog “as long as they’re flattering”, so I hope you’ll agree with my judgement here Paul!)

My next thanks goes out to Rita, Shellie and Jane, from TC1 reception desk, who have always been so kind and patient with Harry while he has been waiting at reception for me to come down and collect him (often for a bit too long on the odd occasion when I have been caught in the middle of something and lost track of time) for our sessions. They were kind enough recently to have Harry shadow them behind the desk for an afternoon, an experience which I would like to think was mutually enjoyable given how much they all seem to love Harry! I think he also got a lot out of this session given how busy he was helping Zurich’s visitors sign in (being his usual amiable self) and helped set them up on the Wi-Fi – Shellie remarked that he seemed to “know more about computers than us”, whilst she also noted that he taught them “loads about Doctor Who” so I definitely see a running trend in that respect. The ladies did find it amusing when Harry remarked that he was tired from “having to get up at 7:30”, I think the early starts that are a necessary evil of adult life are something that may still take a bit of getting used to yet (that or he just develops a chronic caffeine dependency like yours truly).

I want to also give a huge shout-out to Gareth “Oz” Osbourne, who not only spent an afternoon letting Harry shadow him around Zurich’s kitchen and restaurant, but after hearing about Harry’s dream of working in admin he was keen to arrange a second visit for Harry so he could help him with the more office-based side of his job! Oz remarked to me afterwards about how taken aback he was by how good Harry was at recalling all of the different numbers and processes involved in this side of the job. I found this especially gratifying to hear, as before I had even met Harry his application form had said that he “wanted to work in admin” and I had spent a fair chunk of time in our sessions trying to speak with him about exactly why it was that he had put this, and to try and make sure that the dream he was expressing was his own, and not a dream that he thought others wanted to hear him say – something which I think many of us, yours truly included, have been guilty of at certain points in our lives. So after everything I have witnessed over the months, to have it further confirmed by someone else that he does really seem to have a knack for this particular type of role, was incredibly satisfying for me giving me further confirmation that he is continuing down the right path for him as he continues his journey. Oz was in fact so kind and generous with his time that he asked me if there was any time to try and arrange a third work-shadowing session between the two of them; I replied that unfortunately not, although on the bright side he now probably had enough Dalek and Cybermen anecdotes to make it through the next few months.

Alas, after all of these months of working hard (both with myself and with my much more knowledgeable colleagues), the time had come for our final session. It was one of the first beautiful days of the year so we went out for burgers at a local cafĂ© as we discussed his development over the last year and some of the things that I had tried to teach him (with the occasional segue into another Doctor Who discussion of course). As I have remarked on previous blogs, the step from leaving school/college into entering the “adult” world is an incredibly daunting one, and to see the change in Harry from our first session together  when he was at that daunting point himself – though handling it with more chutzpah than I remember having at the same point; to where he is now where he has continued to develop into an incredibly friendly, funny, self-assured young man, confident and aware of his capabilities and potential does bring a tear to the eye (something which I was luckily able to blame on the sunny conditions as we were out for lunch). Harry is not “there” yet (but then who is?) as he still searches for his own dream job and continues to work out his own strengths and weaknesses, but he has developed so much since last summer and it is fantastic to see how busy he is now working, volunteering and rehearsing for his play basically every day of the week, and I feel honoured to have been part of one small chapter of his story. There was then one final touching moment as we returned after lunch when I signed Harry out one last time, as all of the ladies at the front desk and Oz said goodbye to Harry and made me promise to bring him back soon. Rest assured I feel that this is more of a “see you later” than a goodbye – for one thing I am hoping to swing front row tickets for his autumn show that he has been rehearsing for all year with his Monday group!
Another quick word of thanks before I bring things to a complete close, as well as all of the legends who have directly helped myself and Harry all year, I also want to give a massive shout-out to everyone at Zurich’s amazing Disability Inclusion Group and our incomparable Zurich Community Trust for making this whole endeavour possible in the first place, as well as all of the other mentors dotted around our other offices quietly doing brilliant jobs too. And it would be remiss if I didn’t recognise the amazing comms guys for taking my disjointed, spelling-mistake riddled ramblings each month and turning them into something approaching a coherent piece of writing, and then promoting them so people get a chance to read them!

And now just to quickly mention something I’ve avoided talking about much in these musings – myself. I had never done anything like mentoring before, and although it has certainly taken me out of my comfort zone at times I can honestly say I have relished every minute of it. At the start it felt like a huge amount of pressure having someone at a vulnerable stage in their life look up to you for some guidance and support, but making your best effort to try to rise and meet those expectations has been so rewarding. What is more, teaching Harry about some of the skills required to be successful in the workplace has ended up helping myself in my own career too, consciously expressing a lot of skills and habits that I had inadvertently picked up throughout the years. (I had also never blogged before or been exposed to the joy that is writer’s block and can now fully empathise with the famous Dorothy Parker quote “I hate writing, I love having written.”) For anyone out there who has never considering mentoring (or any similar endeavour) I would strongly urge they take a second to reconsider that notion – I will personally guarantee (no refunds) that however much you think you don’t, you have so much to teach someone else out there to help them on their own development journey, as I’m sure others have helped you in the past get to where you are today (The Circle of Life and all that). And for anyone that has considered mentoring but is still on the fence all I would say is take the leap and go for it! At times it may be challenging and stressful, but the rewards involved in helping someone else will dwarf any of the extra work or stress involved.
Finally, the diligent readers out there may have remembered that I promised in the last blog we would hear from Harry himself in this final blog, and I couldn’t think of a more appropriate person to have the final word:
until the next time...
 
Pete.
 
#MyMenteeAndMe      #LoveVolunteering     #LoveZCT     #LifeatZurich

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pete's blog - a fair few thank yous and a final farewell!

Seven Samurai, The Secret Seven, Seven Dwarves, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Seven Deadly Sins (okay that example is perhaps not as goo...