Friday 21 September 2018

Let me introduce Harry

Firstly before I get started on my second blog, I just want to say a massive thanks for the huge amount of acknowledgements I received after my first blog. When it comes to the art of journalism, I am hardly Samuel Pepys (not even Adrian Mole) – so really value all the feedback I am getting. And with that being said, I can very much appreciate that blogging can be a bit of a closed-loop dialogue wise, so always welcome any suggestions, whether that is an aspect of the scheme or my relationship with my mentee that you would like to hear more about, or even some ideas of what I could do to help him more – as that is always the #1 priority here.

Time to introduce you to my mentee! He is a 19 year young man called Harry, he is from Swindon and he finished college in the summer. Harry is on the autism spectrum, however I won’t be talking too much about his “disability” over the course of this blog, unless I feel it is directly relevant to the matter at hand and might help shed some light on the experience of those with disabilities both looking for jobs, and their experience when they are already employed. This is because I don’t feel that anyone should be defined by their disability, yes Harry may have additional requirements and may find some things more challenging (as many of us do to a greater or lesser extent), however he is a human being first and foremost before he is a walking condition.

We were mutually introduced over email with a quick fact sheet to get to know each other, it turns out we are both big movie fans – it was a great icebreaker on our first meet-up talking about the new Avengers movie – while Harry also enjoys swimming and playing the piano. We had to hold off on our first meet-up for a few weeks while he was busy sunning himself on holiday, though I’m sure he would have much rather been in Swindon working with me! We arranged a time for him to come over to the office for us to grab a coffee for our initial meeting; Harry had asked if his mum could come for the first time which was understandable as he was a little nervous, and his profile had stated that he can feel a little uncomfortable when doing things that are a break from the routine, such as meeting new people. At first it was mainly his mum and myself chatting, as he did seem a little shy and would reply to her instead of talking to me directly, however his mum was excellent at pushing him to talk to me and answer my questions. I explained to the two of them more about the scheme, how Harry and myself would be meeting regularly over the next 6 months to work on his employability skills, though there wasn’t a set structure and we had a lot of scope to work on the skills that we wanted to. After around 25 minutes I could tell that Harry was starting to get tired out by the meeting, so we made our arrangements for our next meeting and then I let him and his mum get on with their day.

Harry came back to meet up with me a fortnight later by himself. I found out when he got there that this was his first time taking that bus route by himself (he had practised it on the weekend before with his parents), which made me feel proud that this scheme was already starting to take a small part in improving his independence and confidence (not that I am taking any credit myself for that particular aspect!). Although he was further out of his comfort zone being there alone, he was noticeable more confident and talkative this time, which is something I hope that we can continue to see him build on over the months. We grabbed a small pod, this was quite near the lifts and it was quite loud – his notes had mentioned that he liked a calm, quiet environment, though again he did admirably being able to focus well.

To start with, we went through his “Getting to Know You” form – this was a set of questions on the topics on his personal development, self-esteem, aspirations for the future, life satisfaction, and his overall health and wellbeing. This is a document that Volunteering Matters have asked to be completed at the start of the scheme, and once again at the end to help measure our progress. We spent the majority of our first session going through his answers. One thing that is great to see is that he is very confident in his own abilities and will always “back himself” (I wish I'd had that confidence myself as a teenager!). While some areas that he scored himself lowly on were his ability to work in a team and cope with problems. Although certain roles offer the opportunity to avoid those aspects, I talked him through some examples of where collaborating and crisis-management can be unavoidable in any job, from bomb-disposal to quarter-end reporting (I will leave it to yourselves to find any similarities there).

Towards the end of the session we talked about what he wanted to get out of the scheme, and something that him and his mum had both mentioned was his CV. I will leave that with a very dramatic “To be continued…” and will document our experiences working through his CV in Blog #3!

Pete 

#MentoringMatters #LoveVolunteering #MyMenteeAndMe #LoveZCT #LifeAtZurich

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pete's blog - a fair few thank yous and a final farewell!

Seven Samurai, The Secret Seven, Seven Dwarves, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Seven Deadly Sins (okay that example is perhaps not as goo...